<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, February 24, 2004

Another Tuesday 

So I get home, and with nothing to do but sit around bored for awhile (this is like a pre-computer age) I picked up the latest issue of Maclean's which sat on my washstand. Let me explain.
Parents + Literacy = Maclean's
Got it? Great. So there I am, and the only real reason I picked the magazine up was because the headline was emblazoned across the front. Haha, no. After realising the obvious (see: headline statement) I read the headline. It was something about teens and the issues they grow up with.

OK let's reflect on what that really means.
It means that grown ups, namely the people who write Maclean's, are going to try to pierce the fabric of of socio-culture in order to understand some of the issues we're growing up around. Bullshit? Yes.
How is it that anyone who's now a parent hopes to be able to interpret everything someone, of a different generation mind you, is going through.
In order to understand this, I must say that the article had nothing to do with helping kids grow up. It was written in the format of a parent who wanted guidance on how to raise their child. But mostly on how to approach their kid in a way that would work. Congratulations. First I'm being told that these are the issues I'm facing, next my parents are being told how to approach them. Can anyone else see this flaw? Please.
I'm going to at least give the benefit of the doubt here and say that some of the solutions weren't too bad. Some things, like making marijuana and condoms readily available to the kids might just work. Interestingly enough, the quote statscan having found out that by age 15, 25% of teens have had "sexual intercourse". The fuck does that mean? "Sexual intercourse" is almost as vague as sexual activity. It wasn't even defined. It was merely a blurb on the sidebar having no real influence on anything. In fact, the whole article really seemed to flow that way; bordering on that edge of "waste of time" and slowly inching it's way towards "redundant in it's entirety".
Adolescence is not easy and having some asshole writer state it in a variety of ways isn't helping anything.

Another fine magazine just looking out for Canada's teens. Thanks guys.

| |

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?