<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, March 10, 2004

Now... I don't want to sound like I'm complaining... 

Yesterday my French teacher reminded me that I have (had now, I wrote it last night) to write a speech for our Open House on the 24th.
It wouldn't really have been such a problem if I were a more motivated student. Unfortunately, although it's probably for the best, I am not. I say this because if I were to actually show an ounce of happiness while relating the words "Holy" and "Cross" I would check myself into a mental institution so fast my hat would spin.
Yet, I wrote the damn thing anyways as to stay par with the views of the teachers. And man, at first I had this great idea. I was going to point out all the great things about our school in a last ditch effort to revive my motivation.
Then it occured to me. Is there really any motivation in the first place? Sure, you can argue that when you're younger, you enjoy school, because it's not boring and you get to fool around the entire time. (The latter being something we do despite our grade 9 status). But the fact of the matter is, when you're older, responsibility is just thrust upon you. By choice? Nah, this is East Germany bud. I thought about this in a variety of different ways, but in the end it's all the same, the only real reason to do anything productive is to avoid a confrontation with a teacher. And even then, you're bound to get more troubles thrown your way with the status of an achiever.

Anyways, I thought about writing the speach in that way, but then thought there must be an alternative method. And there is. Ever heard the term "Nazi-Rally"? I'm the proud bearer of the Iron Cross Second Class with Swords and Leaves, so obviously my second choice was to yell at the top of my lungs in the small, crowded, library. Problem? Nah, this is East Germany. Specifically?... Oh, let's say Bonn.

Upon a third review I came across the best idea of them all. I would come up, introduce myself as the president of student's union, announce I've spent nine years at the school, and then proclaim that "This school is terrible. If you want a better fifth-rate education I suggest you travel to the NORTH SIDE, and drop your child off at LAWTON!" I would end there, and with a polite thank you, I would step down from the podium. (Yeah, I admit I didn't want to abandon the entire Nazi repertoire).

When I was finished, the speach I wrote last night resembled that of someone who actually enjoyed their nine years in prison.

| |

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?